A Potted History of Flitwick Mill
Flitwick Mill is a Grade II listed watermill on the south-eastern side of the village of Flitwick. According to the listing at English Heritage (407/17/32) it is a late 18th or early 19th century watermill. It was intially a third of its current size and was extended in the later 19th century and then restored and repaired in the late 20th century. To the south and south-west of the mill is a clay lined mill race and sluice system.
The watermill originally had two sets of mill stones that were driven from a cast iron overshot wheel. A third set of mill stones were added that were driven originally by a steam engine and later by an electric motor. The grain was stored in bins on the second floor and was fed into the stones via wooden shutes.
Flitwick appears in the Domesday survey 1086 AD and was part of the landholdings belonging to the Augustinial Priory at Dunstable. The Goodman family owned and operated the mill from around the middle of the 18th century until its closure in 1987.
For more information, see the new website at www.flitwickmill.co.uk